Thursday, October 20, 2011

Bees

J asked me last night what is the first animal I want to get for the farm. I didn't hesitate. Bees. I am utterly in love with bees, and of course, honey. My most favorite class trip was going to the apiary to watch the bee whisperers do their magic. I could watch bees for hours.

In addition, when we plant the garden and when we plant the orchard, the bees will be a necessary partner in producing abundant healthy organic food. And, they will be in additional heaven being so near to the miles of organic farm fields that surround our property. I have been reading Storey's guide to beekeeping. What I thought might be a snooze is actually an interesting read. Bees are an amazing cooperative community.

When we bought the farm, it had been empty for quite sometime. The inspector indicated in his report that the farm had a wasp infestation. I think infestation is a bit dramatic. However...

This is what we pulled down. I wish I had the picture of it up. This wasp hive was incredible, and quite intimidating. The outer shell was layers upon layers of an ash like paper. Inside was several combs. While wasps, if that is what they were, do not inspire the same warm fuzzies in me as honey bees, I do find their industry and skill remarkable. It almost made me wish we had kept the hive up. Almost. When I was a house painter, many moons ago, I was regularly stung on my hands, as they love to make their homes behind shutters.























J said, bees aren't an animal, they are insects. So what animal would you get.

Well, since I am not yet up to the task of getting up any earlier than I do now (5am to get to work 65 miles away, 75 after we move), the milking animals (ie. goats) will have to wait. So, that brings me to one of my next choices. Heritage pigs. Namely, the Large Black.

Anyone who has known me, knows that I was pretty much a vegetarian most of my adult life. But, as is the downfall of many vegetarians (secretly or not so secretly), bacon is close to my favorite food, or at the very least a guilty pleasure. A chef friend of mine used to tell me stories about the vegetarian waitresses sneaking slices of bacon off the trays he was pre-cooking for the shift. They would beg him to keep their secret. Since falling from grace, I would love to actually raise my own meat, as does my friend Mo. She too was a meat abstainer.  We will trade, one pig for a lamb. Another delicacy I have gained a total flavor for.

One issue is, do you name your dinner? My vote is out for the time being. In theory, I think I could. In actuality, who knows. Pigs are intelligent creatures that mirror us in many ways. We shall see how the story goes come spring, and of course, appropriate fencing, as pigs are notorious escape artists. And, I don't believe I am quite up to wrestling a 200+ animal back to a pen.

No comments:

Post a Comment