Thursday, October 13, 2011

Weathering the Storms

Last night J and I had a bit of a meltdown. Not necessarily a bad thing, and as we have come to learn as this is our second renovation together, par for the course and a much needed release. Although only two weeks in, things are moving quite quickly with the various contractors. Heating and cooling in this week, the electrician starts trenching this week to put the electrical running to the house underground, I had to run around and pick out sinks and faucets for the plumber. I think the sinks and faucets sent us truly over the edge, as the place I was sent to is no mere Home Depot. I got sticker shock in waves. Mostly due to the fact that, while I got a total score on the claw foot tub, the plumbing fixtures are well over a $1,000. It is all just a tad overwhelming. However, once we got our feet back on the ground and our heads cleared, came up with a strategy and realized we might just pull this off with our $33,000. budget.

So, today I go off to where I am truly in my element. Rummaging in resource and building salvage yards to lower those pesky plumbing costs. Mission one - pedestal sink. Possibly doors, of a charming wooden windowed variety circa 1940. And, if dreams really do come true, a stained glass window to replace the small double hung in the bathroom, that has been painted shut over several decades. (Or, last resort, will find one on etsy.com. Thanks for the tip resource guy.)

Also looking forward to this weekend. I tentatively signed up for a full day small acreage livestock management workshop through CSU extension services, pending renovation plans. In the spring my first of many tasks will be to revive the pastures. I see pigs and goats in my future ( as well as bees and an orchard and very large garden). (Oh, and don't worry J, not in my immediate future. I do have some patience).

Once my errands are done, like new checking account for the renovation, hardware store run, and salvage yard heaven, I can then retire to the farm for a leisurely afternoon of removing the crazy superglue adhesive that they used on the bathroom floor, lovingly accessorized in a hazmat suit!

4 comments:

  1. Again, you also need to buy a camera, so we can see what you both are doing.
    Did you buy all of the plumbing stuff? My uncle is VP of Ferguson Plumbing Supplies. I am not certain, but I might be able to get a deal for you. Do you want me to check?
    http://www.ferguson.com/homeowner.shtml

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pictures coming soon. I went to Ferguson and priced everything. Whew, pretty pricey. Any pull is much appreciated :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey,
    I asked and he said he could (more like 'would,' I think) only do it for family. Sorry. I thought it might have worked out. I feel bad, I shouldn't have said anything til I knew more.
    J

    ReplyDelete
  4. No problem sweetie. Thanks for thinking of us.

    ReplyDelete