Sunday, October 30, 2011

It was a blustery day...

The tree in our sideyard does not typically look like something out of Dr. Suess. However, yesterday we had those lovely Northern Colorado winds for a good part of the afternoon. Luckily, we were putting in insulation in the bathroom wall and drywalling. It cut down on the drafts considerably, with the exception of the nice gaps around the windows. New windows are on order and should arrive around Thanksgiving. While we would love to wait to put up the siding until the windows arrive, it does not appear that mother nature is feeling cooperative this year. The large storm this past week will be followed by another snow on Tuesday.

So, this week we get a new roof (weather permitting), a septic system, and electric and gas to the heater. We are on the look out for a nice used woodstove for the house. It's back to Craig's List for me.

In the local Fence Post, a rural publication for farmers and ranchers, I did find a good price on metal roof panels for the barn. Right now it has a lovely hole in it. The metal has been pieced together over the years and could use some help. The barn also leans. Really leans. So much so there is a gap in one of the sliding doors of several inches (I would estimate around 6 inches). Not so good. J will be calling our friend George to figure out how to square it up again so we can reinforce the walls. George is amazing and has built the coolest tree house ever. Ever! If anyone can figure out how to fix the barn it is probably him.

Friday night J asked me what I wanted to do. Friday night is typically date night. Dinner at Ingredient, salad and brick oven pizza, and then a walk through Old Town and then coffee at my favorite cafe and indie book store. Instead, I said "farm", so we went up and unloaded a truck full of drywall. Note again the incessant moving of large heavy materials. I am now a drywall humper. Or is it one who humps drywall. Anyway, I obtained this new title by moving over a dozen sheets through the snow into the house, with J's help of course. Since the plumber roughed in our new plumbing, we probably won't have a toilet until the floor is tiled. (And, power tools really rock. The power chisel totally worked on the floors!) During the day we hit the portapotty in the fields across the street. In the evening, it is number 1 in the dark behind the barn (note to self if you decide to sit on the ground back there). The portapotty's do have their own hazard. We saw several on their sides as a result of yesterday's wind. Not so good if you happen to be occupying one during an unreasonably large gust.

J went out back Friday night and got quite the surprise. A large shadow was looming in the darkness. At first he thought a prayer had been answered. It was a huge John Deere. But no, it was not a gift. It was next to a huge, yes huge, gaping whole in the ground. J met the septic guy out there on Friday morning. He was raring to go. As a result, our yard was now a very large trench connected to an extremely large pit for the new leach field.
Did I say the dogs love their new sand box? I believe they think it is just for them.

My mother-in-law sent me a book for my upcoming birthday. (Best mother-in-law ever).  She sent me The Dirty Life. It is one of my favorite books, and I didn't have a copy. Love it. J has been reading it. Someone told him about it recently and he asked if I read it. I told him it was one of my favorites. He started reading it and loves it so far. He also said does this mean in 10 years we will be farming full time and selling shares of veggies and such to folks? In my mind I said "hell yeah". In reality it was more like, "mmmm, could be". It is amazing to see a dream start coming into fruition.

Today we also met two of our neighbors. One farms the land behind us for the owner, the other was making cabinets when we walked up to his shop. Both seem like great guys. I look forward to meeting the rest of their families. There are only four houses on the road. It will be important to know your your neighbors, as I am sure my friends and family on the east coast this weekend can attest. (Wicked blizzahd guys).

So now, it is winding down with a movie and the nightly ice cream. Mmmm.

No comments:

Post a Comment