Thursday, November 24, 2011

Gratitude...

Today there is a lot to be thankful for. Family, friends, folks who show up in whipping wind to help you "raise a barn", loving pups, fresh eggs, sunshine in November, and the list goes on.

J is up at the farm. It is amazingly in the 60's today and he wanted to get some work done. I will bring him lunch later. I am at home making a Thanksgiving dinner. I bought a big enough turkey to make potpies after. Totally in the list of favorite foods. Next year we will be preparing a turkey we raised alongside vegetables we grew. This year was Whole Foods mayhem the day before and wonderful pie making at Dana's house. Hopefully her pies came out, as I realized I screwed up the crust ingredients on the first two (one mine, one hers).

Lately I have been obsessed with winter squash. The seed catalogs should be arriving any time now for January ordering. We are trying to decide what kind of heirloom squash to grow, so I have been trying every variety I can find. Cooking them in the best way, stuffed with apples, dried cherries or cranberries, walnuts or pecans and honey or maple syrup and a little butter. MMMMMM. It's like dessert only good for you. At least that is what I tell myself. Guess that depends on the butter and sweet added.

Today the menu is, smashed baby red potatoes, roasted brussel sprouts, sauteed spinach and mushrooms, orange cranberry chutney, apple pie and of course, turkey. All that for two people, unless we find some folks along the way today.

I was recently astounded that for all my years as a vegetarian I never ate a tofurkey. I think I might be glad about that.

No comments:

Post a Comment