Friday, May 11, 2012

Cool wind blowing...

I have a trunk full of raspberries, blackberries, gooseberries and currants for planting. And...it is cold and rainy. It is true that timing is everything. But, this weekend will be in the dirt regardless cuz I got garlic, peas, onions, beans, greens and more to plant. The wetness will be great if I can get this done in between showers.

I had to separate one of the girls (hens) so she can recover. It seems her tail feathers and flesh have become a tasty target for the other girls. Chicken cannibalism is terrible. Hopefully being separated she can recover and return to the flock without having to endure more torture. Once we move the coop we will be fencing in a much larger area which I hope will help give them all enough elbow room without the need to get all feisty.

J called me at work yesterday morning to ask me what I thought of miniature cattle. Well, you don't have to ask me twice about adding to our menagerie. So, I immediately went to work, on my break of course, and started researching. I found an excellent breed, Irish Dexters. They are beautiful, red headed, and multi purpose. I found a local breeder and will be planning a field trip to see and learn. So, that may be in our future plans, cattle raising.

So much is evolving and coming along. There is almost not enough time to even right about it. I am falling in love with this place more and more. And once I have a minute to download the camera software I will upload some current pics. Stay tuned, and stay warm and dry this weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment