Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Fire on the mountain...

Smoke has been closing in on the farm this evening from a fire about twenty miles away in the canyon. It's close to my friend Mary's house, but looks like it isn't headed that way. She is out of town, luckily. Burning tree smell is everywhere along with thick clouds. It''s a sad thing. I love that canyon.

I came home to a dug up yard. There are 5 foot deep trenches running from the house to three points in the yard (a 4.3 acre yard mind you). We are running water lines so we can have three hydrants that, with hoses, will reach throughout the property. This will make watering my garden much easier when the pivots aren't coming through. So far I have been carrying 5 gallon water buckets to the berry bushes to give them a little drink. All but one are doing great so far. I think the winds did that one in. The others that make it will be tough little buggers. I planted them in a different place then the one J and I agreed on. I offered to move them, but looks like they will stay where they are. When they all grow we will have some great wind hedges, especially from the currants and gooseberries.

Talking to Mary today and thinking about that talk with J about my rogue planting habits made me think about partnerships. I read another blog about a young woman creating a farm and becoming a shepherd on her own. Of course at times she has the wish she had someone to share it with. Probably more than she would like to admit. I am building a farm with someone, whom I love dearly and create amazing things with. At times, I think it would be easier to do this on my own. While we create wonderful things together, we often have two very strong willed, and different, visions of what we think it should look like. And like all humans, we don't always have the most evolved collaboration or communication skills to work through it gracefully. So, difficulties can arise.

I think the wonderful thing is when you're able to give someone the space they need to have their feelings. Like when we were moving. We both needed a little space to be less than dignified and diplomatic. Having moved through that, we can get back to why we work. Then, you have the differing visions on how things should go. Like, I have had this dream of a farm forever so it should go my way, right? (That actually totally makes sense to me.) But, it doesn't work that way. Both folks need room to express what works for them and in the end a different thing is created that could not have come from either individually. So, long story short. This partnership thing is work. But I'll take it.

Now, for a walk to watch the horizon, or what can be seen of it. Thinking of all of you in the canyon tonight, praying for low winds and some rain.

No comments:

Post a Comment