Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Coming together...

The house is painted, for the most part. Some details here and there need to be wrapped up, but the big stuff. Done. The color is really warm and inviting. Marigold yellow is what I call it. All the other houses on the road (all three of them) are white with green trim or dull gold. We also painted the barn. Not exactly the color I was aiming for.
A lovely shade of Barbie pink. An ode to J's stomach with the hue of pepto. Actually, this is the primer color. J won't have to turn in his man card anytime soon. It was a sight to behold. From a mile away it was a beacon to five year old girls everywhere. We actually had one of those five year old girls visit us. The barn matched her outfit perfectly. She loved it. Sorry to disappoint, but I got busy and painted the majority of it traditional red. The same red as the trim on the house. The barn trim will be the house yellow. A nice compliment.

The garden is slowly coming along, in all my spare time. Potatoes are up, as are the onions. The berry bushes are surviving and the strawberries look a little worn but I think they will make it. This year I will be happy if we can eat anything out of the garden. While I will plant a ton, I know I don't quite have the infrastructure for what I am attempting. But, I can't help it. I need to try in my trial and error ways.

The girls are doing well in their third year with me. One of them has been separated to heal from getting the beat down from the others. She is coming along well but hasn't laid for a while. We'll see if she gets back in the game or not. I have six guinea fowl on order at the local feed store. Two lavender, two pearl and two french. They should arrive in a week or so, right around the time J goes up the hill for hemblecha (vision quest). Maybe the spirits will tell us the name of our place.

After a four day weekend painting and cleaning and watching movies for the first time in I don't know how long, I am exhausted. But happy tired. Accomplished tired. I look at my little house in my fields with views of the mountains and I am at peace. Even if the dogs don't listen and chase rabbits into the neighbors yard, and rip my fingernail off trying to get through the fence to my chickens. Yup. Still at peace.

1 comment:

  1. Wow! It's really coming together. I'm back in town ... need to make a trip out there one of these days to see all that's been accomplished. You two are incredible.

    ReplyDelete