Saturday, May 19, 2012

Rats...

Ok, they are mice. But they may as well be. I am in a war with a mouse. I have seen him but haven't been able to catch him. As a result of his trickery, I have lost a dozen packets of barbecue sauce (ok, so he has good taste. that stuff is wicked), a bag of flour, a bag of rice, and a packet of wasabi rice crackers (again, with the good taste). Oh yes, and two cotton bath mats. Haven't quite figured that out. I have several humane traps around but to no avail. I may need to get ugly.

Today the rains came. Which I hope are helping put out the fire in the canyon. I cam home early yesterday (ahhhh) and painted half of the south side of the house. Now just the high parts and the trim are left. But, today was my dedicated painting day and that just isn't happening. I have been able to do several things inside. Clean the floors of mud and dust (endless task) and will be making some strawberry shortcake for a party we are heading to later today. We finally hung the tv, which has been on the coffee table for a couple months now. Not that we have cable or anything, but an occasional movie would be nice. It has actually been very nice without it. And I have read many books, as has J, without it.

Tomatoe plants and more strawberry plants are in the back of my car waiting for a dry moment to put them in the garden. The potatoes are coming up and the rain is welcome for my green beds, and of course the 300 ft of weeds I need to address.

J bought a used mower deck from an old farmer recently. Half the fields are now low grass, which will hopefully keep the snakes away. (I can dream can't I?). I also placed an order for 6 guinea keats. 2 pearl, 2 lavender and 2 french. They should arrive around June 6. I need to get to work on a pen. I almost came home with 2 turkeys last week, but new I had no shelter ready. Rule is shelter or pens first, then livestock. Not the other way around.

A friend is moving to Phoenix at the end of June. I may be adopting her silkie rooster, headless Harry. He has apparently seen better days but has an immense will to live. He was scalped by a raccoon and as a vet tech, she has sewn his scalp back on. Twice. We'll see how he fairs with the girls. He does come with a chicken coop. Nice bonus.

Well, if I am to be ready for the party, I need to start getting ready.

2 comments:

  1. Love the mice story, E. Reminds me of when we first lived in the cabin up the Poudre. I started with humane traps, too. I had to bring out the big guns when I'd sit on the couch and watch mice playing at my feet, or hanging off the clothes in the closet. The woes of living in old houses in the country.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know it. I don't mind them outside. It's when they come in that they make me crazy. They literally ate the yarn out of my bath mat.

    ReplyDelete