Sunday, June 17, 2012

New additions...

J went fishing this week in the mountains. It was his first time fly-fishing. The nice thing about Colorado, if your not from here, is there are many opportunities for firsts. He came home with five very beautiful and very delicious rainbow trout. We had grilled trout for the past two evenings. They were caught yesterday morning. I never ate trout before. It was amazing. It also felt great eating something without the middle men. Straight from lake to table. Or, lake to cooler to table.

While J was gone we inherited five new little peepers. Originally there were six but one did not make the ride home from the feed store. So, hence five new guinea fowl chicks, which I believe are called keets. One french, two lavender and two pearl. I am very excited to have little cheeps coming from the laundry room.

This weekend I focused on the herb garden and planted five varieties of squash. I love squash. I took the bricks from the chimney we dismantled and bordered the edge of the herb garden and used the stepping stones that were on the property when we got here. If it all comes together it will be beautiful and lush. Lush is not easy here.

This evening we took the dogs for a walk. We hadn't done that for a bit since we've been camping and working and J was fishing. On our walk I came across one of these:
Plains Garter Snake
It was either pregnant or stuffed from a meal (hopefully a mouse). I almost stepped on it and then shoved J sideways as I squealed like a girl. Snakes are one of those things that get to me. Although, I am grateful for what they do. Just, not so close, right?

More and more I just want to spend all my time here. Puttering and transforming the landscape. Bettering it. Tomorrow is Monday. A work day. I wish it was Friday. I'll likely wish that for the next four days.

No comments:

Post a Comment